Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Arrays of Sunshine

Brain cancer is...

...sending arrays of sunshine and love.

We are appreciating a slower news day today, so Darrell wanted to share with you his latest array puns:
  • Take it array! 
  • Old soldiers never die; they just fade array.
  • I want to run array from home and join the circus. 
  • It's better to burn out than to fade array.
  • Ignoring facts does not make them go array.

(He makes it look easy, I know.  He has been saving them up, to be honest.)

This spring Darrell and I made the difficult decision that I would follow through with my summer commitments to the work I love, including teaching summer school and some other great projects with teachers and kids.  It's been a rocky transition back to work, and it's not always easy.  (Whenever I hear an alarm on campus, I look for Darrell's Optune batteries.) 

However, this week reminded me why we all do what we do.  Here's CSUF's Block 23, candidates who are working on their credentials and master's degrees in a combined program:

Hearts for Darrell
I am teaching a graduate seminar in learning theory to Blocks 23 and 24.  It is impossible not to smile and feel solidly satisfied about the education of California's next generations in the hands of these teachers.  That, my friends, makes it worthwhile to go to work in the morning.

I also told these students that, although they are getting only half of me (the half that doesn't manage technical details), I think the half they are getting is better (wiser and more loving) than the whole they would have gotten last summer.

Because I am back at work, Zachary set up the UCLA appointment for Monday a.m. (8:00) and went with Darrell to pick up the MRI scans we'll bring with us.

Our hearts to yours!


3 comments:

  1. Blocks 23 and 24 have the biggest hearts ever! They will fill yours everyday. They know your work and have been looking forward to spending the summer with you, Andi. I'm always amazed at how much you give! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever Darrell!

    Great pic - your students look so happy you are there -as always - you make learning meaningful and enjoyable. And it must be comforting to know Darrell is in good hands with your children nearby. Here's to another rewarding teaching experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Christine, and Susan, for catching the joy. It's going to be a good summer.

    ReplyDelete