Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Word Fight!

Brain cancer is...

...giving us plenty of time to discuss things that don't matter.

This morning on our walk Darrell shared his new (as of yesterday) favorite word:  whatnot.   He likes to end every sentence he can with "and whatnot."  Example:  "For lunch, I would like to order an appetizer of Buffalo wings and whatnot."

Later, as we enjoyed the wings and whatnot, I shared with him that, when teaching, I forbid my students to use et cetera in their writing.  To me, et cetera is an excuse to be imprecise in writing.  "Say what you mean," I tell my students.  Whatnot is the cousin of et cetera.

Darrell reminded me that he is usually a very precise person, giving as evidence his work aligning the rocks on the path during our morning today.  Point taken.

He hopes that you are enjoying your Wednesday and so on and so forth.

PS...We got up early for the super blue blood moon.  We saw nothing.  Do you have any great photos or stories or whatnot?

No comments:

Post a Comment