Tuesday, June 5, 2018

"Click Here to Sign."

Brain cancer is...

...not the only retired Guillaume.

Maybe you recall the day, about two years ago, that Darrell retired?  (If not, click here for the post.) Today Andi hit "click here to sign." My official retirement date is 8/17/18.  I will participate in the Faculty Early Retirement Program (FERP), whereby I am allowed to work up to half time for up to five years before exiting, stage left.  My current plan is to teach one semester each year, for as long as it's fun.

First the Hard Stuff

People want to know how I feel about this decision.  First I cried.  (Andi crying? Weird! Not.)  I love my profession.  I love my students.  I love my colleagues.  I love CSUF.  

And then I stopped crying.  

Darrell and I feel like GBM forced our hand.  He maybe would have chosen a different retirement date.  Maybe so would I.  But given the awesome [except for brain cancer] two-plus years we've had together post diagnosis, we know that retirement is a good thing.  We play the hand we're dealt.  We are not our work.  Life is short.  

Now the Great Stuff

As I say, I will continue to participate in the profession of teacher education as long as it's the right thing to do.  I am working some now, and I'll work fulltime in fall 2018.  (Side note:  Darrell and I are so happy that we have options.  Please, Next Generation, arrange your lives so that you have options.)

Today--starting yesterday-- is a perfect example of why I am far too busy to continue, unretired.

  • I awoke to the oft heard words:  "Thanks for making my life interesting."  Darrell was drowning wine bottles in the bathtub:
(Inquiring minds want to know:  Yes, the Mayfields were involved [thanks Christine!].  No, it wasn't happy hour.  Yes [I swear!] the bottles were empty when they came to us.)
  • I ran five miles, including hills.

  • We had our wonderful regular date with Melanie and Gail.  Geez!  Bottomless mimosas on Tuesday at Grits are real!
  • I had my fifth meal in a row out:  1.  Yesterday's birthday breakfast with Hallie and Ruth.  2.  Yesterday's lunch with K and Little K.  3.  Last night's dinner date for two at Fratellinos.  4.  Today's breakfast at Grits.  Geez!  I forgot the pics for 1-4!  5.  Lunch today at Islands.  Yuss...Finally a pic!


So that's that.  For the first time ever, Darrell kisses a woman who is a breath away from retirement:

Selfie kiss for the future, Team D!  Click here to sign. 

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Andi! Thank you for making everything you've done for so long at CSUF soooooo interesting!
    P.s. Five miles with hills? You're a beast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for not mentioning that I fell on my run, Christine. At least I wasn't on the couch, yes?

    ReplyDelete