Monday, April 29, 2019

Ready for Off Roading

Brain cancer is...

 ...ready for off roading.

Today it rained a little, so we laced up our new hiking shoes (hikers) and gleefully headed out the door to road test them.  So far so good!

Why hiking shoes?  Why now?  I'll try to make it brief.
  • Recently (in this post), upon reflection that I have kept a promise and never required Darrell to camp in 35 years, I realized I didn't negotiate for a parallel promise of my own. 
  • I decided that my parallel promise from Darrell would be that he would be willing to occasionally off-road it with me during our walks.
  • It wasn't an easy promise for him (he likes pavement, and he likes it dry), but true to his superhero status, Darrell agreed. He impressed me and thoroughly warmed my heart—yet again.
On the day he made good on his new promise (March 19, here’s the post), Darrell did this:

Note shoes.  Oh no!  Promise kept?  Check.  Safety guidelines met?  No.

In reviewing my caregiver decisions as we reached the summit, I realized that I left my caregiver choices left some room for improvement.

I can't ask Darrell to follow me into rough terrain solely wearing tennies.  I must provide adequate footwear to ensure safe promise implementation.

Hence the hikers.

A promise of future adventures and new shoes.  What a day!

Hike on, Team D!




2 comments:

  1. Now we have the book of trails, hikers, and picnic backpacks! WOW!!! So much off roading in the days ahead! Prugs!
    ~Christine xoxo

    ReplyDelete