Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Super Glue

Brain cancer is...

...super glue.

When Darrell helped me set up for class this morning at the elementary site, the principal remarked to Darrell, "You're still here!"  Darrell just shook his head and lowered his eyes.  Everyone works. 
Then, when he helped me pack up to go home at 1:30, he had the chance to say hello to Block 4 candidates, who love him already.

Of course I told Block 4 about Darrell's diagnosis; it's my life and who I am.  When I told them of Darrell's 18-month success record, they spontaneously applauded.   Brain cancer is super glue.  I feel like it bonds us immediately to new loved ones--and to the "human" in the human experience.


When Darrell and I talk about our experience, it opens us to others and their experiences.  It cuts through all the small things I formerly worried about (due dates, points off for late assignments...) and allows us to focus on what counts:  loving and learning.


Above is the beginning of the "mathematics in our lives" art installation that will hang in our classroom. 


Here's to the super glue that holds us all together!

No comments:

Post a Comment