Monday, August 24, 2020

Thai Basil: It's a Real Thing!

 Readers Note:  Darrell's genius back up and running for you today.

Brain cancer is...

...experimenting with a Thai basil plant.

So, a few days ago we went to Home Depot to buy some basil.  They were out of sweet basil, but they had "Thai basil."  What?  It that a real thing?  One our favorite restaurants in Fullerton is called Thai Basil.  I thought that just a clever name, but I was wrong.  Thai basil is real and it smells fabulous!!

We pondered where to plant the Thai basil.  As shown in the picture above, the mint has taken off against the fence, but the mint is a perennial plant and the basil is an annual plant (its life cycle is one year and it ends with the production of seeds).  I think it makes sense to try growing the basil there.  

The experiment is to let the die basil and grow back next year from the seeds of the same plant.  We will see.

Andi's take on the day: 

  • The Thai Basil tastes great too.  Like Thai food.
  • Darrell is already accustomed to spending time alone.  Even through I'm working at home, I'm tethered to the computer.  If I come upon him unawares, he jumps, startled.
  • Also:  What if your nightmare came true, and it was actually awesome??  Every teacher dreams of showing up to work the first day in jammies.  Today, for the first time in my career, I wore my jammie bottoms to class.  Why have I waited nearly 40 years for this day?  Here's hoping my CSUF people had an equally great jammie first day of school!

 Today's Bloom

 

 Jasmine plant, next door to mint

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment